DEMO DERBY & FIGURE 8 TRUCK RACES
Saturday, July 9, 2016 7:30 PM (6:30 PM Drivers Meeting)
$4000 Prize Money ($2,500 Full-size cars & $1,500 Compact cars)
Contest Rules & Information
The Marion County Fair Demo Derby is promoted as an unusual spectator attraction. In the interest of safety, drivers and mechanics are subject to and must obey the following rules and regulations which are set up by the promoter and the track where this event is being held:
- Each driver must fill out an entry blank. All drivers must supply their own cars, only one entry per person. Proof of ownership should accompany each car entered.
- Each driver must be of legal age per state or must hold a valid senior driver’s license and have a notarized release signed by his or her parent or guardian.
- The track or promoter reserves the right to approve or reject any or all entries.
- Only owners, drivers, mechanics, etc. who sign the release sheet will be permitted in the pit area or on the track. Driver and one (1) pit person will be admitted with their car and receive free pit passes upon arrival of car on day of show. Driver and pit person must enter the fairgrounds in the same vehicle. There will be no refunds due to infractions of this rule.
- Contestants of the Marion County Fair Demo Derby are not employees of the track, fair association or the promoter of the Marion County Fair Demo Derby.
- The promoter, track owner or fair association will not be held responsible for any cars, parts or personal property before, during, and after the show or overnight.
- Only drivers with their cars will be permitted in the “Best Dressed” competition.
TYPE OF CAR
- Any American made, hardtop automobile or station wagon is allowed. NO SUV’s, convertibles, jeeps, hearses, or limousines are allowed.
- All glass, including head and taillights, must be removed. Auto must be swept out clean. Rolling windows down is NOT permitted.
- BEER WILL BE SOLD IN PIT AREA. NO carrying in of alcoholic beverages onto the fairgrounds. Vehicles and coolers WILL BE searched and any alcohol found will be confiscated.
- A working seat belt and helmet are required.
- .A maximum of 4 gallons of gas will be allowed per heat. Gas tanks must be moved to the back of the driver’s seat ahead of rear wheel axle. The tank must be SECURELY fastened to the floor and covered. Electric fuel pumps are permissible provided you have a kill switch for the fuel pump located on the dash in reach of the driver. STOCK TANK MUST BE REMOVED.
- NO ALTERATIONS TO FRAME OR SUSPENSION OF ANY KIND PERMITTED INCLUDING A FRAMES except modified class.
- All cars must have 10” hole cut in over carburetor.
- Roll bar braces not to exceed 18” passed front seat mounting bracket. Roll cage not to be fastened to roof of car.
- Welded solid or chained down engine mounts are recommended.
- Any sharp protruding fins or dangerous objects must be mashed down or cut off.
- All rear seats must be removed.
- Radiators must remain in original position or be taken out.
- Cutting fenders for wheel clearance only is permitted. Ends of bumpers may be cut off.
- It is recommended the driver’s door be reinforced inside with steel bar, angle iron, or pipe. Length should not exceed more than 8” on either end of driver’s door.
- Hood may be fastened down in 6 places. No chains, bands, bolts, pins, or cables can be used. Official’s decision on over use of wire. Doors and trunk lids may be welded.
- Both front doors should be painted white and numbered. Special numbers are permitted.
- A strong wire or nylon mesh screen is recommended on driver’s window.
- Only one battery, any size is allowed. It must be moved from original position and must be placed on floorboard of driver’s compartment and securely fastened and covered.
- EACH DRIVER AND MECHANIC MUST SIGN IN AT REGISTRATION DESK AT LEAST ONE HOUR BEFORE SHOW TIME AND HAVE THEIR CAR INSPECTED.
- No studs, screws in rims to hold tires or studded tires permitted, EXCEPT MODIFIED CLASS. (see rules in modified class)
- Must have working brakes.
- Foreign and domestic cars with a wheel base of 105 inches or less are eligible for the compact car heat. Wheelbase is measured from center of rear wheel to center of front wheel. Four-wheel drive compacts must have one drive shaft removed.
- IT IS MANDATORY THAT THE DRIVER’S DOOR BE REINFORCED INSIDE ON COMPACTS with steel bar, pipe, concrete, etc. It is also mandatory that the inside door panel on driver’s door be left on or replaced with padding.
- Any American made hardtop auto or station wagon is allowed including Imperials. No Limousines or hearses.
- Leaf spring can be added to a coil spring suspension. 10 leaf springs, 4 clamps on a side.
- Gas tank protectors can be added. Must NOT be touching frame or sheet metal in back seat.
- Seam welding to body is permitted.
- Bars may be added behind front seat, where dash board was and may be connected together to protect driver (battery).
- All doors and trunk may be wired, welded or bolted.
- Must have working brakes.
- Front suspension may be welded up on A frames.
- Make sure battery and gas tank are secure, must not be able to move or wiggle.
- Modified cars can screw tires but no studs.
- Any American made car or station wagon. No Crowns, hearses or limousines.
- Allowed to weld driver’s door seam, no other seam welding to body or frame.
- No adding leafs to coil spring cars. Back & front suspension must have suspension travel.
- Stock suspension
- Must have working brakes
- Front bumpers may be welded to bumper shocks
- Back bumper may be welded to brackets. Steel bars may be added behind front seat (suggested) and where dash board was. It also may connect to bar behind front seat.
- Engine swap is allowed.
- Truck lid and/or front hood must be wired, not welded after inspection in no more than 6 places.
- Doubled up tires are fine.
- Trans cooler is allowed in engine compartment.
- No motor protectors, gas tank protectors or distributor protectors.
- Fuel tank and batteries must be covered.
- Tires can be doubled up and tubed.
- Radiators must remain in stock position.
- NO deliberate head-on collisions and NO deliberate hitting on the driver’s door.
- A vehicle will be disqualified if the driver’s door comes open during the heat.
- All cars are to be removed from the fairgrounds or race-track BY MIDNNIGHT following the show or they will become the property of Marion County Fair Demo Derby and the officials will have them removed (unless otherwise specified at the driver’s meeting).
- ALL DRIVERS AND PIT PERSONS MUST ATTEND THE DRIVER’S MEETING BEFORE THE SHOW.
- A $25.00 protest fee is required to protest another car. Protest must be made within 30 minutes BEFORE the first heat.
- Additional safety regulations may be imposed, depending on track. Titles must be turned in on junk cars.
- Any car disqualified will not receive funds.
- A one minute time limit will be announced by the judges. If a driver does not hit a qualified car within the time limit, he will be disqualified. DO NOT play “possum”. This will lead to disqualification.
The Marion County Fair Demo Derby will have heats and a feature. Heat winner of First, Second, and Third places will also be in the feature. All feature winners will be paid. Decision of the Official Judge WILL BE FINAL as to the winners. $2,500 prize money for full-size cars and $1,500 prize money for compact cars.